Why do I need a license?
PA state law requires that you obtain a license if you intend to assist in the purchase, sale, rental or lease of real estate for anyone other than yourself. The license is issued by the Pennsylvania Department of State. It is supervised by the Pennsylvania State Real Estate Commission.
- You must hold a high school diploma or equivalent.
- You must pass a criminal background check.
See the Commission website for its rules and regulations.
What courses do I need to take?
You must take two courses. One is called Real Estate Practice, 45 hours long; the other, Real Estate Fundamentals, is 30 hours. You can start with either, but must complete both. You’ll take 2 tests on their content, and must pass each with a 70 or higher. You receive a transcript upon completion.
What will I learn in the courses?
Real Estate Practice
In Practice, you’ll learn about ethics and anti-discrimination laws, agency, representing sellers, representing buyers, financing principles, qualifying for a mortgage loan, valuation of property, settling the real estate transaction, Pennsylvania-specific laws, licensure, and general practices, including the Licensing and Registration Act and Rules and Regulations of PA State Real Estate Commission.
Real Estate Fundamentals
In Fundamentals, you’ll learn about land, real estate, and property, forms of property ownership, real estate ownership, private limitations on property rights, government interests in real property, environmental issues affecting real property, voluntary and involuntary alienation of property, leasing and property management, and investing in real property.
Read more about the courses
See our classroom schedules
Take one or both self-paced, online courses
See our Zoom virtual schedules
Give me the best possible deal!
That’s the name of our best deal for classroom education. With it you receive both courses you must have: Fundamentals and Practice, and accompanying books. Additionally you get an exam prep course to prepare for the licensing exam, and valuable use-at-home study materials.
PA Pre-Licensing Pkg. With CompuCram
That’s our best deal for online education. Use your smartphone, tablet, or laptop. You get both courses you must have: Fundamentals and Practice; and the highly-rated CompuCram, a course to prepare for the licensing exam. No need to purchase books or other materials; everything’s online.
Education’s complete! Now what?
- Finish both courses. Pass both course tests.
- Use the transcript you receive, and a designated form, to apply for and take the state licensing exam!
- The exam is offered only at approved centers.
- It costs $49 every time to take the exam.
- It consists of 120 questions. You have 3 hours to complete it. You must pass with a score of 75 or higher.
- You’ll learn immediately at the testing center whether you passed, or must re-take the licensing exam.
- If you pass, you’ll receive a receipt. Keep it to claim your license.
- Remember, you must pass a criminal background check to verify your license eligibility, and you must hold a high school diploma or its equivalent.
- You must be affiliated with a real estate broker in PA who will serve as a your legal supervisor.
- You’ll interview with brokers as you would for any other job. Be comfortable with the broker you choose.
- The state will mail your license to your broker. Now you can start work!