How do I know if taking a real estate or appraisal education course online is right for me?
It depends on what you’re comfortable with.
PRO: Let’s start with the basics. You’re plugged into the cloud. You know that Skype is not a tall building in a big city. You own a laptop, a tablet, and a 4G smartphone, and you carry all three with you. You text faster than you talk. If you love computers and can’t live without ’em, you obviously ought to be online.
CON: If you don’t use computers regularly, or don’t like to use computers at all, your choice also is already made. Avoid frustration, and take a live course if available.
PRO: If you prefer working in your pajamas while sipping coffee at the kitchen table, OR if you learn best only when the TV is on in the background and your favorite tunes are playing simultaneously (see, we know you better than you think), then an online course is worth considering.
CON: On the other hand, you’ll enjoy live classes more if you like the ability to network with friends and others in a classroom, or if you want to ask questions of an instructor, or if being in a classroom environment “just feels like learning” (we know you pretty well too).
Are there ever times when online courses are a must?
Three we can think of. If you’re in an area where 1) we don’t offer live classes, or 2) we aren’t scheduling live classes when YOU want or need them, or 3) you can’t drive or get a ride to live classes we do have scheduled … well, then online is the only choice.
By the way, if you want to obtain any form of real estate sales, broker-sales, or broker license in New Jersey, online courses for those have NOT been approved there. You must take live courses.
- This does not apply to New Jersey real estate continuing education, for which online courses are available, here.
- It also does not apply to New Jersey appraiser qualification, for which online courses are available, here.
Find Online Courses For:
- Pennsylvania Real Estate Sales Licensing
- Pennsylvania Real Estate Broker Licensing
- Pennsylvania Real Estate Continuing Education
- Pennsylvania Appraiser Certification
- New Jersey Appraiser Qualification
- New Jersey Real Estate Continuing Education
Illustrations by Andrew Croce